We all are aware that GeM is an emarketplace where Government entiites place procurement orders and also sell their products. Apart from serving as a platform for buyer and seller GeM also offers certain flagship initiatives as given below:
- Startup Runway 2.0
- MSME SC/ST entrepreneurs on GeM
- The Saras Collection
- “GeM StartUp Runway” was launched in February 2019. It is a unique concept initiated by Government eMarketplace in partnership with Startup India, to promote entrepreneurship through innovation. This program is an opportunity for agile and lean startups to reach out to the universe of Government buyers.
- Startup Runway 2.0 is an opportunity for Startups to showcase their innovative products and services to Government buyers and engage in public procurement.
- GeM has created a dedicated marketplace category for all Startups to list their proucts and services.
- Only DPIIT Recognized Startups can register on GeM. However one can attend the workshop and apply for recognition to get assistance in recognition as a startup and registration on GeM.
- Startups can list multiple products and services with minimal technical specifications and sell their products to Govt buyers under 13 globally recognized Startup sub-sectors, like Advanced Manufacturing and Robotics, Advertising, Agriculture etc.
- The platform offers Startups all the marketplace functionalities that are available to regular sellers and the objective is to spur “MAKE IN INDIA” procurement from India Startups.
MSME SC/ST entrepreneurs on GeM
- GeM is collaborating with various stakeholders from the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises [MSME] ecosystem with special focus on entrepreneurs from the Scheduled Caste/ Schedule Tribes [SC/ ST].
- The partnership is based on the objective of achieving the mandatory procurement goal of 25 percent from MSMEs and a sub target procurement of 4 percent goods and services from MSME entrepreneurs within SC/ ST communities, by all government departments and public sector enterprises [PSE].
- This initiative seeks to encourage active participation of MSE sector in public procurement.
- “Womaniya” initiative seeks to showcase products made by women entrepreneurs and women self-help groups [WSHGs], and spur Women entrepreneurship by aligning them with opportunities to sell their products to various Government ministries, departments and institutions.
- Womaniya on GeM spur hyper-local economic opportunities for women entrepreneurs and address goals and objectives under United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- GeM has specially categorized products such as handicrafts and handloom, accessories, jute and coir products, bamboo products, organic foods, spices, home décor and office furnishings for ease-in-procurement.
- Womaniya aligns with Government’s initiative of reserving 3 percent in public procurement from women MSME entrepreneurs and this offers immense potential for procurement.
The Saras Collection
- “The Saras Collection” has been launched on the Government e-Marketplace portal by the Union Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj and Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar.
- The new initiative has been launched with an objective to provide Self Help Groups in rural areas with market access to Central as well as State Government buyers.
- The SARAS Collection” is a pristine handcrafted collection of handicrafts, handloom textiles, office décor, furnishings, accessories, event souvenirs, personal hygiene and care products from top of the line SHGs in India.
- Social inclusion is one of the core values at GeM and it is focused on ensuring participation of women entrepreneurs, self-help groups, artisans, weavers and micro entrepreneurs who face challenges in accessing government markets.
- The Saras Collection showcases daily utility products made by rural self-help groups (SHGs) and aims to provide SHGs in rural areas with market access to Government buyers
- In the first phase, 913 SHGs from 11 States have already registered as sellers and 442 products have been on-boarded